John C. CookPartner
Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
Outside of our families and our homes, our jobs may be the most important relationship we have. When you are having legal trouble in the workplace, or were just terminated, where do you turn? John Cook is the savvy negotiator who can get you that severance payment you really need. He’s the steady-handed counselor to advise you through one of the most difficult periods in your life. And, if you do need to file suit, he is the tenacious courtroom bulldog who can bring home the win.
John’s colleagues agree he is the go-to person for employees. Based on surveys of active Virginia attorneys, Virginia Business magazine named John one of Virginia's "Legal Elite" in its December 2004, 2005 and 2006 editions. "Super Lawyer" magazine selected him as a Super Lawyer in 2006 and 2007, as well as 2011-2020. John was named to the Washington Post's "Top Attorneys" list in the D.C. Metropolitan Area for 2013 and 2014, and to Northern Virginia Magazine's "Top Attorney" list in 2016. John has lectured frequently and published articles on civil litigation and employment law issues.
John is a recognized leader in the Virginia Employment Law Bar. He is a former member of the Section Council of the Virginia Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section and is the current co-chair and a former chair of the Fairfax County Bar Association's Employment Law Section. He has served as a mediator for the District of Columbia Superior Court and as a conciliator for the Fairfax County Circuit Court. John is also a member of the District of Columbia and New York State Bars. John is the founding partner of Cook Craig & Francuzenko, PLLC, where he has practiced since the firm's inception in 2007. Previously, John practiced in two firms in Northern Virginia. He began his career in the District of Columbia's Corporation Counsel's (now Attorney General's) office.
John's practice emphasizes the representation of executives, employees and small businesses in employment law matters, including advice and counsel regarding workplace issues; drafting, review and negotiation of severance agreements, executive contracts and employee handbooks; and litigation arising out of breach of contract, non-competition agreements, workplace assaults, theft of proprietary information, fraud, Family and Medical Leave Act and disability issues, discrimination claims, and Fair Labor Standards Act (overtime pay) disputes. His practice also includes a wide range of other civil litigation matters.
A native of the Catskill Mountains in New York, John received his B.A. degree, magna cum laude, from Gettysburg College, where he was selected as a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He received his J.D. degree from The George Washington University.
In addition to his law practice with the firm, for over ten years John served on the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, where he represented the Braddock District. He chaired the Board's Public Safety Committee. He also served on the Virginia Railway Express (VRE) Operations Board, which he chaired in 2015; the Northern Virginia Regional Commission, where he served as Treasurer; and the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission, where he chaired the Governance Committee.
John and his family reside in North Springfield in Fairfax County, Virginia. John is a former president of his civic association, PTA Board member, and youth recreational sports coach. He is a member of Burke United Methodist Church, where he has served on the personnel, building, and preschool committees.
Super Lawyers Magazine - "Super Lawyers" List, 2006-2007, 2011-2020.
Arlington Magazine's "Top Attorneys" List in Employment (Employees), 2019.
Northern Virginia Magazine’s "Top Attorneys" List, 2016.
Washington Post’s “Top Attorneys” List in the D.C. Metropolitan Area, 2013-2014.
Virginia Business Magazine, Virginia's “Legal Elite" List, 2004-2006.
Fairfax County Diversion First Program (2016-present)
Chair, Stakeholders Group (2020-present)
Council to End Domestic Violence, Fairfax County (2013-2020)
Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, Braddock District Supervisor (2009-2019)
Chair, Public Safety Committee (2016-2019)
Virginia Railway Express (VRE) Operations Board (2010-2019)
Northern Virginia Regional Commission (2009-2019)
Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (2010-2019)
Chair, Governance Committee (2017)
INOVA Health Care System
Member, Health Care System Board of Trustees (2016-2019)
Member, Fairfax Hospital Quality Board (2016-2019)
- "Me Too: Evidence in Employment Litigation: Pursuing Admission or Exclusion of Propensity Evidence," Strafford Publications, November 2020
- "Virginia Employment Law CLE," Fairfax Bar Association, September 2020
- "Requirements, Regulations, and Risks Facing Businesses in the Age of COVID," TIPS II Lead Share Group of the Tysons, August 2020
- "Worried About Returning to Work in a Coronavirus World?" CCF Ask Us Anything Zoom Community Meeting, June 2020
- "Update on Employment Law in the Era of COVID-19," Association of Legal Administrators, Northern Virginia Chapter, Monthly Meeting, June 2020
- "Employment Law Update," Association of Legal Administrators, Northern Virginia Chapter, Monthly Meeting, May 2019
- "Alternative Dispute Resolution" and "Wage and Benefit Issues," Human Resource Law From Start to Finish, National Business Institute , February 2019
- "Legal Ethics: Best Practices for Dealing with Clients," National Business Institute, March 2018
- "Key Discovery and Evidence Issues in Employment Litigation" and "Employee Benefits Basics," National Business Institute, September 2017
- "Plaintiff's Theory of an Effective Employment Case," Virginia Continuing Legal Education Annual Employment Law Update, May 2017
- "Wage and Benefits Issues" and "FMLA and Other Leave Issues," National Business Institute, February 2017
- "Admissibility Questions" and "Handling Email, Social Media and Other ESI," The Rules of Evidence: A Practical Toolkit, National Business Institute, December 2015
- "Pushing the Envelope: Emerging Plaintiffs' Theories," Virginia Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Conference, October 2010
- "ADA Amendments: Adjusting to the New Terrain," Virginia Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Conference, October 2009
- "Business and Employment Torts: Just Sue Me," Virginia Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Conference, October 2008
- "Effective Discovery Techniques" and "Working with Expert Witnesses," National Business Institute, October 2008
- "Evolving Theories of Recovery," Virginia CLE Annual Employment Law Update, May 2008
- "Human Resource Law," National Business Institute, October 2007
- "The FMLA from the Perspective of Plaintiff's Counsel," Fairfax Bar Association Employment Law Section, May 2007
- "Small Office Management for the Legal Professional," National Business Institute, October 2006
- "Screening Requests For Help With Employment Issues," Fairfax Pro Bono Program and Employment Law Section, May 2006
- "Litigation: The Initial Phase," Virginia CLE Annual Employment Law Update, May 2006
- "Winning your First Civil Trial in Virginia," National Business Institute, May 2005
- "Winning Deposition Strategies," National Business Institute, 2004
- "Trying Your First Civil Case in Virginia," National Business Institute, 2003
- "Points to Consider in Settling Employment Law Cases," Virginia CLE Annual Employment Law Update, May 2003
- "Employment Law Update," Half Moon Seminars, 2002
- "Advanced Civil Discovery for the Litigation Paralegal in Virginia," National Business Institute, 2002
- "Employment Lawyers Assess the Impact of Reeves Lifeboat or Mirage," The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, 2001
- "Achieving Settlement and Avoiding Summary Judgment in Employment Law Cases," Fairfax Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Expo, October 2000
- "Title VII Filing Deadlines and Exhaustion Requirements Post- Dodge," Fairfax Bar Association Employment Law Section, March 2000
- "Indemnification and Additional Insureds" to the commercial claims branch of the CNA Insurance Companies, 1998
- "Risk Management Issues," CNA Expo, 1998
J.D., George Washington University Law School, 1988
B.A., Magna Cum Laude, Gettysburg College, 1985
Phi Beta Kappa
District of Columbia, 1990
New York, 1989
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1998
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1998
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 1997
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 1991
Virginia State Bar, Labor and Employment Law Section
Member Since: 1998
Section Council (2009-2014)
Fairfax County Bar Association, Employment Law Section
Member Since: 1998
Section Co-Chair (2020-Present) Section Chair (2003-04)
National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)
Member Since: 2013
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
Member Since: 2017
Fairfax County Circuit Court - Former Conciliator
District of Columbia Superior Court, Civil Division Mediator (2001-2013)